The Association has come a long way since its establishment. With a membership figure of 16 at its inception, the Association has grown to about 10,000 members.
- Student members
- Associate members
- Full members
- Fellow members
- Honorary members
- Life members
- Institutional members
- Student Members: Science teachers-in-training
- Associate Members: Who may be:
- Graduate science teachers in active teaching;
- Graduates of science who in the opinion of Executive Board of the Associations are interested in the advancement of science education;
- Non-graduate science teachers actively involved in the teaching of science.
- Full members: MSTAN which means member of Science Teachers association of Nigeria. This is for:
MSTAN is accorded to members from time to time and whenever the Executive
Board approves a list submitted to it by the Membership Committee.
- Associate members with a minimum of 5 years continuous membership in the
- Those who apply by completing the appropriate forms and paying the
prescribed application fees; and
- Are favorably considered by the membership committee with such
recommendations being approved by the executive Board on behalf of the
- Fellow members: Members who have been awarded FSTAN
- Honorary members: Scientists engaged in research or in industry who are interested in the aims of the Association.
- Life members: Members who desire to be considered for Life Membership have to apply to the National Executive Board. The Executive Board may recommend for:
- Life Membership; and
- Honorary Life Membership
members and persons who have rendered distinguished service to the Association
respectively. Those so recommended and ratified by the Governing Council have
to pay a prescribed fee to become life members.
- Institutional members:
- All Educational and Research Institutions with bias for science
- Educational publishers, industries, science equipment manufacturers and
The STAN Headquarters produces annual membership lists for each category of membership. Each STAN Branch submits its list of financial members to the STAN Secretariat not later than May of each Year.
The register is used to check continuity of membership. If a member does not renew his/her membership in any given year, his/her membership lapses. Reactivation of lapsed membership is made by payment of all outstanding dues.
Membership which has lapsed for FIVE consecutive years is deemed dead and removed from the register. Thereafter the person concerned may be re-admitted on a fresh application and re-registration.